Sunday, January 9, 2011

Flashback to 2010 - Japan Trip


Looking back to the beginning of 2010. I started the year with a business travel to Tokyo in February 2010. It was my first trip to Japan and being from a tropical country, it was still too cold for me even in end of February where it should be the beginning of Spring.

Japan by far is a country which not really interesting to me. Unlike everybody else, I don't really like fish. In fact, I have never like eating fish and its relatives. Thus, a visit to Japan where sushi, sashimi and other food related to raw fish are the highlight of the country was not really appealing to me. Nevertheless, a business travel is a "must-do" for someone like me.

My first encounter to sashimi and sushi (in all types of sushi, I only like inari sushi and vegetable maki) was when I had lunch with my client in Nagoya. Indeed, we need to appreciate the effort inviting us for lunch. Hence, I let them choose the place. Guess what? Yeah, they brought us to a sashimi and sushi restaurant. A famous one where you need to make a reservation beforehand. My colleague was so happy as sushi and sashimi were her favorite food while I was so scare thinking on how to survive!

But well, I did survive! A piece of salmon sashimi passed my throat with a little bit difficulty and a lot of soy sauce and wasabi. The salmon was so fresh and did not have any fishy smell at all. It tasted a little sweet and kind of melted when it touched your tongue. However, I did not dare to try a piece of tuna. A very good grade of tuna still have a fishy smell and pardon me, I have not survived on that yet.

But, believe it..... now I start developing a like of sushi and sashimi... although still with a lot of soy sauce and wasabi.. but I never run away from it anymore. Sushi and sashimi in Japan are really good and made from fresh fish and other seafood. Still... I like inari sushi more!

The next evening in Tokyo, another client invited us for dinner. The dinner was at a restaurant only within walking distance from Hilton that I stayed. The place was at the top of the office tower. The first thing that hit me when I walked inside the restaurant was the scenery outside the window. From our table - a traditional tatami and dining table one - we could see as far as Tokyo tower. Such a beautiful picture.

The food was really delicious with lots of choices from sushi, sashimi to grilled seafoods. One thing that really intrigued me - the way they served cold tofu..... It was so delicious and smooth. See the picture above, can you guess that those is tofu and not ice cream??




No comments:

Post a Comment